Monday, November 26, 2012

Short Term Goal Strategy

So I've picked out a 5k for March.  I'm going to do the Hero Rush 5k Obstacle Race on March 2nd.


Back in August I was considering doing the Run For Your Lives Zombie 5k Obstacle Race, being held in Austin on December 15th.  However, no shit was gotten together, so it ain't happenin'.  Wait, what?!  Shit, there's another Zombie 5k in Dallas-Fort Worth in March!  Oh, but I'd have to register by the end of today to get the $77 price.  Hmmm, choices.  Nnnngh.  What.  Gah!  Damn, I'll...put it off.  Always a solid plan.

I may be reaching too high with an obstacle-based 5k.  I don't know if it's a good idea to try that extra layer of hard.  What was that I just said about over-planning?

At any rate, I calculate that there are 50 workouts between today and March 2nd, so I could just start today with a 5 minute treadmill warm-up followed by 0.1k/0.062mi of running.  Then add 0.1k/0.062mi of running for every workout.  Afterwards, hit my strength training.

Alternatively, I can look at it as 13 weekends between now and March 2nd, and add 0.385k/0.25mi to a weekly run.  And I can drag my asshole brother to the park every Saturday morning and we can train for the race together.

UPDATE:  Talked to my brother last week, and he's a big sad loser who doesn't want to have any fun.  Ever.  But he will come to the park with me while I train, so there's that at least.  Honestly, I hate spending time with him because he's an absolute troll who makes himself unbearable to be around.  But if I don't spend time with him, I worry he'll be all sad and lonely and start drinking heavily again.  He just dried out (after falling off of my porch, getting a concussion+grand mal seizure), and giving him positive reinforcement of his sobriety via human interaction would be the right thing to do.  Ugh.  Can't he just move in with a bestest best friend and then drag them all over the country like normal people?!  Then he'd have somebody to play with and I could go back to watching an entire movie without him knocking on my door for something retarded.

Also, I did not go to the park this weekend.  I did, however, participate in the planting of 5 trees, which was some serious work.  So not a total loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment